{{blog.title}}
{{blog.date}} | {{blog.stars}} stars
Author: Kiran
• Friday, April 11, 2008
Seldom do I read a non-technical book. But, somehow I got interested in this; possibly because of its intriguing title. A friend of mine sent a copy of this book to me suggesting that it made a good read. And after reading the book, I couldn’t agree more. “Thank you!”

So here’s what I have to say.

A Must-Read: It is about 300 pages long, but there is no single page that will bore you. Needless to say, it is organized and presented very well. In my opinion, it is a ‘must-read’ for all those who are serious about a relationship with opposite gender – for, it scientifically explains why are things (or people) the way they are.

Hard-Wiring: It explains in somewhat detail (to some depth beyond which it might get uninteresting), the physiology and anatomy of male and female brain; and, how they compare with each other. And also explains the psychological differences that arise, owing to such a ‘hard-wiring’.

Designed for a difference: Propounds the effect that the evolution has had on male and female behavior based on the hypothesis that anthropologic evidence suggest - in pre-historic times, man as a bread-winner while woman as a nest-defender. Because of their different roles, they developed different skills and so did their organs developed differently. While men had superior distant vision, women were blessed with a peripheral vision. This is perhaps the most important point in the whole book – for many other conclusions hinges upon this. It is kind of a weakest link.

Driven by Hormones: Remember my previous writing where I was complaining about the other gender? I am happy that much of what I had written there is actually true. Females ‘suffer’ more from mood swings; Culprit – The Oestrogen. It only corroborates my experiences. It is not such an exaggeration to extrapolate the findings to state that humans are robots – for many a human behavior (emotions) are driven by chemicals, and not to forget that brains are hard-wired. Are we just programmed to execute?

Understanding the untold: Blessed with superior sensing ability, women can interpret more than what is usually evident to a man. Again, it is my experience (much to my bewilderment) that women always giggled at each other for some strange reason that ‘nobody’ else could understand. Most likely, they noticed or interpreted something out of the ordinary.

Some Tips: The book does provide some tips on how to improve the relationship (and to some extent how to ‘fall’ into one!). Gyaan on how to impress upon the other gender. How to interpret women’s indirect speech. … Perhaps this is one of the more important take-away from this book! Now, I know what it really meant when my female boss said “You have done a great job!”. ;-)

S*x: The book makes a rather disgusting remark against men – a very ignominious one indeed. I was offended by the claim that men always have that ‘three-lettered word’ at the helm of their brain – driving their behavior. Clearly, their surveys were limited only to the occidental society, where people are not usually oriented towards philosophy. Forgive me, it might be a very caustic remark on my part, but one who understands and recognizes the fact that there is something beyond corporeal delights, does not have s*x in the centre of their mind, always.
This entry was posted on Friday, April 11, 2008 and is filed under , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response , or trackback from your own site.

0 comments :